Mail forwarding stopped working for my domain

wogden

I'm no longer receiving forwarded emails to <any user>@ogden.to

Test emails sent directly to the forward destination work.

. Wade

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Wade.

The last timestamp I see on the server is that a message was sent at Aug 24 15:06:12 to ogden27@cox.net.

That's not to say that maybe they are throttling messages though. Do you receive any bounceback messages?

wogden

That was a test message I sent.

If I send directly to ogden27@cox.net, the mail comes through.
If I send to wade@ogden.to, it does not arrive.

I just sent a new test message shortly ago (to wade@ogden.to) and it hasn't arrived.
The other main mail forward for ogden.to (holly@ogden.to --> ogden28@ogden.to) behaves the same.

. Wade

Hello Wade.

The last timestamp I see on the server is that a message was sent at Aug 24 15:06:12 to ogden27@cox.net.

That's not to say that maybe they are throttling messages though. Do you receive any bounceback messages?

wogden

Nothing in spam/trash. I'm not getting reports from various friends of bounced email.
Here is one example. I'm not sure who is saying they are blocking who...

This is the mail system at host mailfwd2.zoneedit.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<ogden28@cox.net> (expanded from <holly@ogden.to>): delivery temporarily
suspended: host mx.east.cox.net[68.1.17.3] refused to talk to me: 554
eastrmimpi209.cox.net cox 166.88.18.34 blocked. Error Code: CXBL - Refer
to Error Codes section at
http://postmaster.cox.net/confluence/display/postmaster/Error+Codes for
more information.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
that would be an error with the sending mail server. I cannot connect to mail.ngpintra.net on port 25 to ask HELO to see what the response is but most likely its not a full domain name but something else.. and not a fully-qualified hostname, our servers would not allow messages to pass through our mailservers with a malformed HELO response.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you be more specific when you say forward? would that be a direct message to gmail.com you mean?

thanks
sandy

Russell Huonder

The problem has resolved itself somehow. But in case it helps others I'll explain what happened.

I've set up a mailmap for my domain in ZoneEdit (have had it for years). The other day, whenever I tried to send mail to an email address on my domain, the message would be undeliverable. The email address where things were mapped to was a comcast.net address. I thought that the problem was with Comcast, that they somehow were blocking email from forwarded addresses. I talked with them, but they didn't want to deal with me because the original address being sent to was not a comcast.net address. I then realized I should try to set up a mailmap that would forward to a gmail.com address to see if it really was Comcast. But email through that didn't work either.

I'm not sure what changed, but several hours later the mailmap here in ZoneEdit started working again.

moonunit

mailmaps are broken from gmail for me since 9/23/2016. I try to send from a gmail account to my mailmap and it doesn't arrive. I haven't gotten undeliverable yet but that's what I anticipate. I send from MS O365 to the same mailmap and it goes right through. Any idea why google does not like sending to zoneedit mailmaps?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
moonunit... are you sending messages from the gmail address that you are forwarding to? If so that will not work... a known issue...google puts these in a never ending loop unfortunately

sandy.