"dnsto" parameter ignored with command line DDNS update

Does the "dnsto" parameter still work? I have tried to use it multiple times to set a specific IP address and it is ignored in favor of the source IP of my query.

For example:
Code:
$ curl -u username:token https://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=xxx.yyy.zzz&dnsto=1.2.3.4
[1] 15203
$ <SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="xxx.yyy.zzz updated to 25.174.236.62"
ZONE="yyy.zzz">

I have tried changing the specific IP and it does not make a difference.

Please let me know. Thanks!

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.

Can you change the dnsto line to: "dnsto=1.1.1.1"

This should autodetect the IP from which the request came from.

Thanks for the quick response, but I think that you misunderstood my issue. I want to set my A record to a specific IP and not have an autodetected IP.

Please refer to this thread:

Q: For the dnsto field, which IP should i enter? current public IP? what if the IP has changed?

A: that would be the IP you want to update to.

I have a application where if the DSL modem in front of my web cam is down, I want to specify an IP with a sorry page as opposed to just having the request time out. The monitoring and setting of the specific IP address will be done by a machine I have elsewhere running a cron job.

I know that I can run dynamic.html request without the “dnsto” parameter altogether and it does an autoupdate. I need a way where there does not happen. Based on other forum posts, the value of the “dnsto” parameter used to be honored.

Please let me know. Thanks!

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
For the dnsto field, you can either enter:

0.0.0.0 - Do nothing
1.1.1.1 - Autodetect IP address from the address which the request came from

Or you should be able to enter a specific IP address. If this is the function which is not working, let me know and I'll have our devs take a look.