cname entry seems to be resolving incorrectly

gallen1

I'm trying to set up a domain name to be a custom URL for a blogger.com blog. One step is to create a CNAME DNS entry as follows:

Name: blog
Destination: ghs.google.com

So, I add a DNS entry on ZoneEdit as follows:

Type: CNAME
Host: blog
Address: ghs.google.com
TTL: default

My domain name is gove.net, so when I query the DNS system for a name entry at blog.gove.ent (using dnschecker.org), I get the following information:

Domain Name: blog.gove.ent
TTL: 300
Canonical Name: ghs.google.com.gove.net

To me, it just seems like an error that the "gove.net" is being appended to the canonical name.

I'm using the "Preview Release" interface on zone edit, which comes with the following message: Please try out this preview release of our new single page DNS editor. This is a brand-new design, so if you face any unexpected issues please reach out to support for assistance.

As a free user, this forum seems to be my only channel for support. I think this is a bug, but I don't seem to have access to any other channel to report it.

zesupport

Staff member
I'm trying to set up a domain name to be a custom URL for a blogger.com blog. One step is to create a CNAME DNS entry as follows:

Name: blog
Destination: ghs.google.com

So, I add a DNS entry on ZoneEdit as follows:

Host: blog
Address: ghs.google.com
TTL: default

My domain name is gove.net, so when I query the DNS system for a name entry at blog.gove.ent (using dnschecker.org), I get the following information:

Domain Name: blog.gove.ent
TTL: 300
Canonical Name: ghs.google.com.gove.net

To me, it just seems like an error that the "gove.net" is being appended to the canonical name.

I'm using the "Preview Release" interface on zone edit, which comes with the following message: Please try out this preview release of our new single page DNS editor. This is a brand-new design, so if you face any unexpected issues please reach out to support for assistance.

As a free user, this forum seems to be my only channel for support. I think this is a bug, but I don't seem to have access to any other channel to report it.
Hello,
I had a look and the issue in this case was that you did not end the CNAME record with a trailing dot. This is why the URL was appended. I have added the trailing dot and a lookup now returns:
1704204654925.png

Regards