Can I use URL Forwarding and Stealth Forwarding at the same time?

vcagbay

Hello!

Currently, our domain uses URL Forwarding with HTTPS forwarding.

We now want for the original domain name to be preserved and displayed on the browser regardless of where the URL was forwarded, and I think using stealth forwarding would accomplish this.

See our current setup. These are no A records as well.
1713925108324.png

Here are my questions regarding this matter:
- Is using stealth forwarding in ZoneEdit free? or does it require additional credits?
- If I use stealth forwarding, do I need to remove the URL forwarding records? If yes, what will happen to the HTTPS forwarding? I need the domain to be accessed via HTTPS to avoid security issues.

Hope someone could help. Thank you!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI there, Stealth forbidding is included at no additional charge and you can use Stealth, OR Url forwarding, but not both for the same host record. HTTPS forwarding cannot be used with a Stealth redirect, it breaks breaks the chain of security on any SSL certificate.

regards

vcagbay

Hello Sandy. Thank you for your reply. With what you have said, would this scenario work?

Stealth forwarding:
domain.org ---> http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx

then the IP redirects to a domain with SSL certificate: http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx ---> https://domain.ca

will this work?
Thank you.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
stealth forwarding must be forwarded to a URL, not an IP address. as well SSL certificates work on Hosts, not IPs.

regards

vcagbay

Hi Sandy!

Now I would like to ask about A records..
- Is using A Records in ZoneEdit free? or does it require additional credits?
- If I add A Records, do I need to remove the URL forwarding records? If yes, what will happen to the HTTPS forwarding? I need the domain to be accessed via HTTPS to avoid security issues.
- It is said that I can have more than one entry per host to activate round-robin service for that host. If I map two IP addresses to a domain name, will the domain name be retained in the browser's URL?
domain.org ---> IP 1
domain.org ---> IP 2

Thank you!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again You cannot use HTTPS URL forwarding in addition to a regular host record that points to an IP, in face there is really no reason to even want to do that. A records are included at no additional price... as long as you have an SSL certificate on the host record then pointing to an IP address will be ok to resolve at HTTPS

regards

vcagbay

Hello @sandy

I already tried A records and it was able to do what we want to achieve.. that is for the host name (i.e. domain.org) to be retained on the browser's URL bar.
However, since domain.org is just a domain name without a physical server/PC hosting it, we could really not install a certificate for it. Hence, it displays as "Not secured" on the browser.

Is there a feature on ZoneEdit that could support both? Meaning it will retain the host name on the browser's URL bar and it will be secured with ssl certificate. Using URL Forwarding with HTTPS can make domain.org secured but displays the domain name of the IP where it it forwarded and not the original host name.

Thank you.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again sorry, no... not without an SSL certificate. as well.. as a paid subscriber you can use te get support link on the top right of your members page :)