zonedit returning malformed txt records

dmun

The txt records for my domain are being returned malformed. Specifically the spaces in the txt records seem to cause zoneedit to put quotes around each item and this destroys the syntax for SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records. I noticed this since major email providers (gmail, outlook) are saying my records are now invalid even though they have always been valid. The records have not been changed and they were historically valid before zoneedit started returning them as malformed. Here is an example of what the bad record looks like:

$ dig munroe.net txt

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> munroe.net txt
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6538
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;munroe.net. IN TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
munroe.net. 6454 IN TXT "v=spf2.0/pra" "a" "mx" "ip4:72.175.232.90" "ip4:107.189.37.27" "include:_spf.google.com" "-all"
munroe.net. 6454 IN TXT "v=spf1" "a" "mx" "ip4:72.175.232.90" "ip4:107.189.37.27" "include:_spf.google.com" "-all"
munroe.net. 6454 IN TXT "google-site-verification=TJZZeqhU43YOu9XgalJHvirLzjrAfClu8sai5kN1Ul0"

;; Query time: 16 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Jun 17 23:18:47 2017
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 304

and for DMARC:

;; ANSWER SECTION:

_dmarc.munroe.net. 7200 IN TXT "v=DMARC1"

(the rest of the rules after the version are missing thereby invalidating that record)

and for DKIM:

;; ANSWER SECTION:

selector1._domainkey.munroe.net. 7200 IN TXT "g=*"

(everything after the first g=* is missing thereby invalidating that record)

I've confirmed that in the zoneedit portal there are no quotes for each item, everything is contained within one set of quotes at the start and finish of the entire SPF record. The DKIM and DMARC records also have correct syntax and are complaint. As noted already, these records worked in the past and there has been no change to them on my end so this appears to be a zoneedit issue. Please address this problem and let me know if you need additional info. Thank you.

Last edited:

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.

It looks like the reason they may have been failing is because there were extra quotes "" around the record. I have removed the quotes and queried the nameservers directly (dig @ns15.zoneedit.com munroe.net txt) which appears good now.

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have corrected those as well. Expect these changes to propagate in roughly 2 hours.