Which name servers do I need config with my domain provider?

PaulG

Hi,
Relatively noob regarding the language of website/domain settings.
Our website has stopped being visible.
I have our domain registered with a domain provider.
The current name server settings are as per my attachment.
The Zoneedit DNS settings are correct (have been checked by the website host helpdesk).

I assume the problem is with the name server settings (as everything else seems to be in order).

Are these correct? How do I check? Should ther be an IP address there too?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Attachments

• name server settings.JPG
    name server settings.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 5

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Paul,

The name servers to use are listed under the NAMESERVERS link under the DOMAIN SETTINGS tab for the domain name. You have already delegated to the correct name servers. The domain name is resolving. The website is not coming up because of an issue at SquareSpace. Please contact SquareSpace to determine why.

PaulG

Hi, it appears the problem is within the zoneedit settings.
According to SquareSpace (my web host) help, "After investigating this further, I'm seeing that your CNAME (www) Record is pointing to '198.185.159.146'. This is most likely causing the conflict, as this IP address is unreachable. You'll want to make sure that your CNAME www value is only pointing to ext5-cust.squarespace.com."

The interface for the DNS settings page is attached - as you can see, the CNAME is pointing to the correct url, but I cannot see where/how the IP address can be edited/deleted. Squarespace suggested the screenshot 'SSscreenshot.png' provides further info (which I don't understand) - also attached.

Can you guide me on where to find this so I can correct the issue? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 2
  • zoneedit settings.JPG
    zoneedit settings.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 2
  • SSScreenshot.png
    SSScreenshot.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 3

PaulG

erghhh. the site is down again. I haven't touched any settings since it going live again.

It seems the DNS settings are reverting to a dead-end IP address - 198.185.159.146 (despite the Zoneedit DNS settings pointing to 198.49.23.160, 198.49.23.161, 198.185.159.160, 198.185.159.161.

Any suggestions why this is happening and how to fix it?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 1

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

please delegate:
dns1.zoneedit.com
t1.zoneedit.com

do not delegate dns2.zoneedit.com.

please let me know how that goes.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

Ok I see :

Name Server: dns1.zoneedit.com
Name Server: dns2.zoneedit.com

is still delegate.. thats fine to keep now.. please do not delegate the t1 server instead.

thanks
sandy