Strange DNS/NS happenings, help?!

Kingsley Muir

I'll try and make this as brief as possible.

I want to get my site running through Cloudflare, for that CDN goodness.

I've registered the account, got the name servers and have applied the name servers.
(I know you cannot offer support on the Cloudflare part, but it might be helpful for the overall goal).

It's been about a week now, Cloudflare still hasn't said I've changed the names ervers, I can however do a successful DIG through them and tell that the NS's are fine.

However, (this is the part I think you can help with!)

When I perform a check on whois.net, I get some shocking information back. I'll paste it here.

Domain Name: KINGSLEY-MUIR.COM
Name Server: NS13.ZONEEDIT.COM
Name Server: NS9.ZONEEDIT.COM
Updated Date: 24-apr-2014
Creation Date: 27-apr-2010
Expiration Date: 27-apr-2016

I don't have an account on domain.com (I've tried resetting a password for the domain, but no account tied to it exists). My expiration date is also set in 2016, and yes, it's still a live site, and the name servers are incorrect.

Is this a problem with just whois.net? Or is there something going on that I can't see?

(I've had to remove some entries as my post was detected as spam like?)

Thanks!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

the domain KINGSLEY-MUIR.COM is registered with domain.com, as such you can only change delegated nameservers at the domains registrar. what you have done on your zoneedit page is to create NS records inside the domains zone file.. this is non functioning unless you can set the nameservers at the registrar as well. so domain.com is where you need to delegate the Cloudflare nameservers.

thanks
sandy

Kingsley Muir

Thanks for the reply Sandy!

How would I do that through my ZE account? I don't have a domain.com account I thought you guys used it I've only ever bought and paid for my domain through Zoneedit.

My account was transferred from the legacy site if that helps!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
apparently legacy zoneedit may have had some kind of partnership with domain.com for domain registrations
but it still required an account to be created at domain.com by the domain owner.. or so that how it was explained to us.

For this concern there is no other course available other then to contact domain.com.. or perhaps the domain.com reseller that was used:
Registration Service Provider:
MyDomain, support@mydomain-inc.com
+1.8004057875
This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
yes those are the ns records inside the zone file as you have set them but until they are delegated at the registrar the actual nameservers will still be listed as those of zoneedit:

Domain Name: KINGSLEY-MUIR.COM
Registrar: DOMAIN.COM, LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 886
Whois Server: whois.domain.com
Referral URL: http://www.domain.com
Name Server: NS13.ZONEEDIT.COM
Name Server: NS9.ZONEEDIT.COM
Updated Date: 14-apr-2016
Creation Date: 27-apr-2010
Expiration Date: 27-apr-2017

sandy

Kingsley Muir

Ok, so domain.com wouldn't work, however MYDOMAIN.com worked. (it found my domain as a login!) and I was able to use a password I haven't used in years to get in.

Now that I'm in, I need to work out how to delegate it back to ZE.

Thanks for all your help Sandy!