Relay access denied

Arthur Daley

Hi there
I have a problem with my zone.
I am trying to redirect zone emails to another email address.
I have set-up the MX records and the Mailmaps.
But it just keeps replying with "Relay access denied"
I just can't see what I have done wrong. Maybe its something simple. I don't know.
The zone is test.zuon.com.
I have a catchall mailmap to redirect all mail traffic.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

are you trying to send from a domain based email address? If so then what you have set up will not provide that service... Local as a mx record is for mail maps only so receiving but not sending.

for the root domain you have local as a back up MX record. This will not function unless you purchase the back up MX via the domain add ons link.

thanks
sandy

Arthur Daley

Hi there
Thanks for your help. I can confirm that am trying to receive mail, rather than to send it.
I tried to send mail to my domain, for example, to xyz@test.zuon.com
I tried sending from various addresses, such as from my yahoo email address (yahoo is the sending SMTP server)
But it always returned with:

<xyz@test.zuon.com>:
Remote host said:
554 5.7.1 <xyz@test.zuon.com>: Relay access denied

It is confusing, because I understood that mail to test.zuon.com should just be redirected. Would that be right?

Sorry, I am a little unsure what was meant about Local being setup as a backup MX record. I thought that I had setup test.zuon.com as MX preference 1 (top priority, rather than a backup). Doesn't that mean that it should receive all mail to test.zuon.com? Then I set a catch-all redirect, to redirect all mail to base470-zuonredirect@yahoo.co.uk

I appreciate your help on this. Thanks.