Question before starting transfer

saitoh183

I currently have a domain at register.com and it is expiring in a month and i find them expensive (have to pay for URL Forwarding + for domain) plus there is no DDNS feature. I found you guys because of my router. From what i understand is that it is 12$/year and URL Forwarding is a included feature? I have many applications that i need to access so Forwarding is a big thing for me. For the transfer, once the process starts, do i still have access to my domain or is unavailable till the transfer is completed?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

yes to all save the fee which is actually $15.00... it does include DDNS and URL forwarding as well.

as long as you have delegated zoneedit's nameservers to the domain name before you confirm the registrar transfer then you can use the zoneedit service before the transfer completes.

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.zoneedit.com

thanks
sandy

saitoh183

hi there

yes to all save the fee which is actually $15.00... it does include DDNS and URL forwarding as well.

as long as you have delegated zoneedit's nameservers to the domain name before you confirm the registrar transfer then you can use the zoneedit service before the transfer completes.

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.zoneedit.com

thanks
sandy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. how can i delegate a nameserver? do i need to do this on register.com before i start the transfer? sorry i am a total newb in this area of IT :)

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
add the domain to your zoneedit account... use a free dns slot if you have one available.
Set up the domains zone file the way you require it then contact the domains current registrar and delegate zoneedit's
nameservers... once its working as expected... on your zoneedit members page use the Switch Registrar link to start the registrar transfer process.

thanks
sandy

saitoh183

Ok, i setup the free slot. Do i need to take if off Park by entering my IP instead of PARK in the DNS settings before doing the delegate? I did not change anything yet...just added my Domain. Another question, could i keep me domain at my current registrar but use the free slot so i can use URL Forwarding and DDNS of ZoneEdit instead? Basically my needs are the DDNS for my router so i dont have change my IP on register.com and URL forwarding so i dont need to type in the port in the URL for each of my applications. Paying for my domain is cheap at both ZoneEdit and register.com but the URL Forwarding is 50$ at register.com...The only problem i see is that i dont think the DDNS will change my IP at register.com even if ZoneEdit is setup in my router...am i right?

saitoh183

Ok, i setup the free slot. Do i need to take if off Park by entering my IP instead of PARK in the DNS settings before doing the delegate? I did not change anything yet...just added my Domain. Another question, could i keep me domain at my current registrar but use the free slot so i can use URL Forwarding and DDNS of ZoneEdit instead? Basically my needs are the DDNS for my router so i dont have change my IP on register.com and URL forwarding so i dont need to type in the port in the URL for each of my applications. Paying for my domain is cheap at both ZoneEdit and register.com but the URL Forwarding is 50$ at register.com...The only problem i see is that i dont think the DDNS will change my IP at register.com even if ZoneEdit is setup in my router...am i right?

Ok, well it seems that the status is now changed to active after adding zoneedit dns to register.com. Does this mean i can use URL/Stealth forwarding? I set up a test URL forwarding but it doesnt seem to work.

saitoh183

Ok, well it seems that the status is now changed to active after adding zoneedit dns to register.com. Does this mean i can use URL/Stealth forwarding? I set up a test URL forwarding but it doesnt seem to work.

I did a dns and whois lookup and everything seems to point to zoneedit but when i ping my www.domain.com, i get the ip that is set on register.com (i think it is what is set when i use URL redirect on there site. and my main.saitohhome.com (setup on register.com) still pings to my IP. I guess its a time thing and i just have to wait?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
at present we have:

dig @dns1.zoneedit.com a saitohhome.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @dns1.zoneedit.com a saitohhome.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7023
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;saitohhome.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
saitohhome.com. 600 IN A 24.225.226.68

is that the correct IP?

sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
then zoneedit has the proper record.

ping times out:
ping saitohhome.com
PING saitohhome.com (24.225.226.68): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

and the IP is not open on port 80, the standard web port:
telnet 24.225.226.68 80
Trying 24.225.226.68...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

thanks
sandy

saitoh183

ic...yes ping to saitohhome.com works

Pinging saitohhome.com [24.225.226.68] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 24.225.226.68: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=127
Reply from 24.225.226.68: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127

but if i ping www.saitohhome.com i get

Pinging www.saitohhome.com [216.21.224.199] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Would i need to restore my dns to register.com, disable port Forwarding and change the A Record, then switch back to zoneedit dns?

saitoh183

ic...yes ping to saitohhome.com works

Pinging saitohhome.com [24.225.226.68] with 32 bytes of data:

but if i ping www.saitohhome.com i get

Pinging www.saitohhome.com [216.21.224.199] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Would i need to restore my dns to register.com, disable port Forwarding and change the A Record, then switch back to zoneedit dns?

Well i put back the register.com NS, modified the dns settings (removed the 216.21.224.199) and set the *. saitohhome.com to point to my actual ip and then set the NS back to zoneedit. I then added all my URL stealth forwarding to replicate what i had on register.com but the forwarding doesnt seem to be working. :( ...im really at a lost...

Only 2 of my forwarding seem to work
books.saitohhome.com -> http://saitohhome.com:8186
request.saitohhome.com -> http://saitohhome.com:3000

All the rest dont work...get a
This site can’t be reached
stats.saitohhome.com took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

OGYs0a.jpg

Last edited:

saitoh183

****Update****

URL Forwarding seems to work cuz i tried it from my phone. The redirect just dont work when i try them from my internal network except for the 2 i mentioned

saitoh183

****Update****

URL Forwarding seems to work cuz i tried it from my phone. The redirect just dont work when i try them from my internal network except for the 2 i mentioned

Well everything seems to be working now...i guess i just had to wait it out