Question about Free DNS, DDNS, and pricing

hyperpan

I will be away from home for the next year with very limited internet access, and I need to be able to reach a host running various non-commercial, personal services behind a dynamic IP via a specific domain, so I've just registered the name from zoneedit for an annual fee.
I've also configured a preinstalled script with the AUTH token on the host's gateway router and DNS records seem to update fine with its WAN IP. English not being my first language, I'm having some trouble understanding the pricing model and what I need to get this to work without interruptions such as monthly renewals before I leave.
Apparently, zoneedit offers 1 free DNS zone. Does this mean I can mark my registered domain as free, and not have to buy credits for it to resolve smoothly? When I tried to add a domain as free, I was prompted to pay for the registration since it didn't exist, which I'm fine with. When I did, a message still showed that I have "1 free slot left". When trying to set my registered domain as free from the link, I was met with an error "The domain is already on our systems". Do I need to worry about aditional steps such as prepurchasing at least 12 credits for my case scenario to work, or will it work fine 'as is' for the next year?
Thank you for any guidance.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you let me know the domain name of concern and I will be better served to advise the proper service level.

sandy