Problem with Domain Name & Mail Forwarding

AlleyTM212

For many years everything with ZoneEdit has worked fine, but suddenly things started to go sideways yesterday and got worse today. I've been trying to troubleshoot this, but I'm not making any progress. Hope someone on the forum can help.

I have a small web server in my home and use ZoneEdit to direct people to it. This is done via URL forwarding on ZoneEdit to my server's IP address. Entering the domain name results in "Server not found", but entering the IP address works just fine.

Checked with ZoneEdit this morning and saw my domain/zone was "Deactivated". I reactivated it, but browsers still cannot get to the web site -- "Server not found." I've verified the IP address and can access the server by entering it directly into the browser. I've verified that the domain name did not expire (good thru Jan 2020).

What's puzzling is that I have a second domain name that points to the same web server and it works just fine. I've compared configurations on ZoneEdit and they appear to be identical.

At the same time, any mail forwarding that goes to the problem domain is not being delivered. I suspect this is related to the domain name going "inactive" on ZE's systems and that I haven't found the one setting that has to be updated following reactivation.

What am I missing? It's probably something simple, but I haven't stumbled across it, yet!

Thanks in advance to all replies.

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, we're aware that some of the domains on our system which were recently re-activated either by renewal or by user disable/enable are having issues.

Was the domain in a disabled state recently?

AlleyTM212

alberg35.org

It was disabled when I checked late this morning. I reactivated it but things still are not working correctly.

I've got the exact same problems. Mailproblems since yesterday on one of the domains. I found out that this domain was deactivated at Zoneedit, but I never did that. I activated the domain again, but stil got mailproblems. What happened?

AlleyTM212

I've been doing some more detailed digging and did find a difference between one of my domains that works and the one that doesn't:
Working domain #1 --> Name Servers = ns12.zoneedit.com & ns14.zoneedit.com
Working domain #2 --> Name Servers = ns14.zoneedit.com & ns8.zoneedit.com
Nonworking domain --> Name Servers = ns3.zoneedit.com & ns4.zoneedit.com

Did something happen to name servers 3 & 4?

My Working domain --> Name Servers = dns1.zoneedit.com & dns2.zoneedit.com
Nonworking domain --> Name Servers = ns12.zoneedit.com & ns2.zoneedit.com

I'm also very curious why the nonworking domain got deactivated!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi folks.
there was an issue with recently re-activated zone files not loading properly that we have now fixed.. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

what had happened... the domains were marked as in-active by the account holder... usually many months and even years ago.... even though they were marked as inactive, they were still loaded and working. A recent server upgrade caught this and now domains listed as de-activated were now in fact, de activated... so the only thing during that time that was de-activated was billing, but the zones still resolved..

thanks.

bjmills

I don't believe my domain was ever marked inactive, and yet I am not getting a successful response when I query. I am configured to use dns[1-3].zoneedit.com It's been like this a couple of days at least. Any way I can get somebody to look at it? Domain is [redacted]

Last edited:

Matthijs

Hi Sandy,
I seem to be having the same problem with mailmaps not forwarding mail, could you kindly check the following domains:
rozema.lu
jeugdbibliotheek.lu

Both domains are active, and DNS seems to be working, as both domains load without any problems. It's just the mailmaps that seem to have stopped. Last mail I received through the mailmaps was from november 23rd.

Thanks in advance!

Matthijs

to add: my MX records point to LOCAL, and I get a " <<< Deferred: Host Name Lookup Failure" Error when sending mail to a domain-address.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

for rozema.lu domainkey txt records had spaces and in the actual txt record that prevented the zone from loading properly. This is fixed now. How is it on your side now?

thanks
andy

Eduardo de Miguel

Hi all, few days ago I had the same Problem reported here, my domain turn to INACTIVE status with NO REASON from my part and the web page and e-mails stopped to work for FIRST TIME IN MANY YEARS.
After Reading this thread, I click in Domain Overview and in the line Domain Management hit "ACTIVATE" and re-activate the domain, waiting for 30 minutes, and the web page and e-mails start to work ok again.

Thanks Sandy for your comments here.