DynSite - How to update wildcard?

Willo

Hi there,

I recently installed the latest version of Dynsite and created a vanilla config for ZoneEdit via the default included template.

I can't however see an option for Wildcard as eluded to on the ZoneEdit config page for DynSite.

I've contacted Noel and gotten the below info:

I’ve had a look at the links that you provided in your message but it appears that the information on the ZoneEdit website are very old and don’t apply to their latest update protocol.

DynSite is compatible with the latest update protocol that is explained in their knowledge base at https://support.zoneedit.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/4/1/changes-to-dynamic-dns.

Authentication Tokens are mentioned on the page but I don’t have access to any information on how to use them with the latest update protocol. Wildcard updates are not mentioned at all.

Sincerely,

-Noël
noeld.com

I am updating okay by creating an entry for each sub-domain but wildcard updates would be preferred.

Can you help?

BTW, my domain is legacy free, but can I donate to cover at least some of the wonderful free service I've received over the years?

Cheers

Willo

Willo

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for your assistance. I have setup the configuration as per your instructions using the default in the box 'ZoneEdit' option from the drop down menu. But as per the attached file, I don't get an option in parameters to enable wildcard.

Cheers

Willo

Attachments

• DynSiteConfig.JPG
    DynSiteConfig.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 2

Willo

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your update. See attached for the options you requested. In the meantime I relayed all of the other information back to Noel at Dynsite. Read from the bottom up of the following text to see the outcomes:

Hi,

I was almost sure of the outcome of the test but it was still worth trying it.

Unfortunately we cannot simply mix one update URL with the parameters of the other, that would just not work because the parameters would not be recognized or simply ignored by the update script. The scripts are on the server side so they are not under my control.

As a workaround, you could possibly consider updating the A record of your main domain using DynSite and create any other subdomains in your zone as CNAME records pointing to that A record. This would not as handy as wildcards but if you have a limited number of subdomains that should work.

Thanks for your purchase and support.

Sincerely,

Sent: mercredi 4 octobre 2017 08:50
To:
Subject: RE: [Other] Your message at noeld.com

Hi Noel,

I got an error that the hostname wasn’t known.

I assume there is an issue with the update URL and that we need to combine the current ZoneEdit one with what you added in the partner service one.

Cheers and thank you

Sent: Monday, 2 October 2017 8:16 PM
To:
Subject: RE: [Other] Your message at noeld.com

Hi,

The configuration file at the address below won’t work because the script URL is invalid. I replaced the .vpn TLD by .com, this time the script seems to reply correctly but I cannot test it further.

Please try to copy the attached plug-in file to the DynSite installation folder and restart DynSite, or close DynSite and double-click the file. Instead of using the ZoneEdit service in the list, please configure your domain name under the “easyDNS Partner Service” branch either with the wizard or from DynSite icon right-click > Setup…, Services tab. If that works you’d find the wildcard option in the Parameters tab of the host properties as described at the bottom of the page at https://cp.easydns.com/support/dynamic/clients/dynsite/.

Sincerely,

Attachments

• DynSiteGeneral.JPG
    DynSiteGeneral.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1