Domain became inactive

Bill Lathrop

This past week, our email suddenly stopped working and I spent days with the email provider trying to figure out why email wasn't coming in.

They suggested I check with my DNS host, so I did.

I logged into Zoneedit and find that our domain, kerstners.com, was inactive. No message, no notification, nothing to say why, it was just inactive.

Fortunately it reactivated without a problem, unlike some others I've read about here, but I really need to know why the domain was inactive and what I can do to prevent it from happening in the future.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Bill,

We recently ran a cleanup on domains which were set to inactive but were still propagating. Checking your domain it appears that it was set to Inactive back in September. Did anything happen with the domain? Were the nameservers always set to us or did your domain perhaps expire? It would usually turn it off if one of those were true.

Reactivating the domain would have resolved the issue at this point.

Bill Lathrop

Domain was renewed in August. Never expired. Nameservers have been set to Zoneedit for many, many years.
Reactivating the domain would have resolved the issue at this point
If that's the case, where was the notification so it could have been rectified? I checked and the email address on file is correct. I guess it must have gotten lost in the mail.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Bill,

Something happened a few months ago, and the system set the DNS service to inactive on September 2nd. There may have been an email sent at that point. You can check for anything around that date (spam folder included). If not, I'll have to search further with our dev team to figure out what happened on that date. Going forward, we fixed a bug around the end of November for domains that were set to inactive which were still delegating service. There would have been no notification email for the November bug fix since the domains set to inactive shouldn't have been working. We apologise for the disruption.