DNS and URL forwarding problem

David Simon

We have two domains setup with Zoneedit.com
chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us
chowkids.com
For the outside world, Zoneedit is the SOA for both domains and is working properly.
For most services, both domains point to the same locations but for web, chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us points to ca01001161.schoolwires.net and chowkids.com does a URL redirect to chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us.

For our inside network, our Active Directory DNS is the SOA for both domains in order to redirect IP addresses to our internal IP addresses instead of going out of our firewall and back in.

We have not made any changes to our internal DNS or Zoneedit recently. The problem we are having is that, as of Thrusday or Friday, chowkids.com doesn't redirect internally.

These are the settings that are related to the problems. The data that is blacked out or is not included below pertain to working systems so aren't a problem. I was wondering where the 162.243.226.87 came from but it has been working just fine until the end of last week.
Internal DNS
Internal_DNS.JPG
Chowkids Zoneedit
External_Chowkids_Zoneedit.jpg
Chowchillaelem... Zoneedit
External_chowchilleelem_zoneedit.jpg

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI David.

I am sorry, I do not k,now.

at present zoneedit has the proper information:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Monaco; color: #00f900; background-color: #000000} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Monaco; color: #00f900; background-color: #000000; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures} span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre}

dig @dns2.zoneedit.com a chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @dns2.zoneedit.com a chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us

; (1 server found)

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53735

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us.INA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us. 10800INA52.206.191.232

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us. 7200INNSdns2.zoneedit.com.

chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us. 7200INNSdns1.zoneedit.com.

as does the Google public servers:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Monaco; color: #00f900; background-color: #000000} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Monaco; color: #00f900; background-color: #000000; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures} span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre}

dig @8.8.8.8 a chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @8.8.8.8 a chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us

; (1 server found)

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 17239

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us.INA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us. 10799INA52.206.191.232

is it possible the hosts file was manipulated on your network for that host record?

sandy

David Simon

Do you know what the 162.243.226.87 address is? I assumed it was a zoneedit address but a WhoIS query tells me DIGITALOCEAN-7 which doesn't help someone who doesn't know much about corporate structure.

If I am forwarding DNS or a web redirect to Zoneedit, what addresses do I use?

Thanks,

David

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
162.243.226.87 is a zoneedit IP for a web forwarding server,.. so you would see it on host records using URL or Stealth forwarding...

it should not show up when a Host A record or Cname is in play...

for .... If I am forwarding DNS or a web redirect to Zoneedit, what addresses do I use?

Not sure what you mean exactly... can you provide an example?

sandy

David Simon

We are using URL forwarding of chowkids.com to the chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us URL so I'm guessing 162.243.226.87 is the server I need to point my DNS to for the www.chowkids.com domain so I think you actually answered my question.

In the pictures above, our internal DNS server has www.chowkids.com as a host with 162.243.226.87 as the address. If there was an update on our end or your end that changes the way the redirect is handled, that would explain why it was working before and isn't now.

I will play around with our internal setting and see if I can get it working. Externally it appears to be working fine.

Thanks for the information.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
actually it would be better to use

198.199.92.59 as 162.243.226.87 is no longer in that records round robin DNS.

sorry for missing that.

sandy

David Simon

That was the problem! Replacing the 162 address with the 198 address fixed the problem. Thank you for the help!

I'm now only using the 198.199.92.59 as a host in the root of chowkids.com (this appears to be the only way to redirect http://chowkids.com to http://chowchillaelem.k12.ca.us via Microsoft DNS)

For anyone else who runs across this thread, I found a different way to deal with the www in our internal DNS so that even if the address changes again it will work. In Microsoft DNS you can add a "New Delegation" for www to the domain which tells clients that www is resolved by Zoneedit's DNS servers. I used dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com. In my case, this told the client to use those DNS servers to resolve www.chowkids.com using Zoneedit which then does a URL redirect to our www.chowchowchillaelem.k12.ca.us off-site hosted website. This won't work for the root chowkids.com so we have a host resolving to Zoneedit's redirect server 198.199.92.59 which will stop working if that server is no longer available.

I doubt many people will have this specific setup but if they do, maybe my explanation will help them.