Convincing GMail and ZoneEdit to play nice together

Hellenist

I am having an issue comparable to one posted by Peter Van Rijn on 2016-09-20.

I have a personal domain, brmiller.ca, which I registered with a Canadian registry in 2003. I set up the DNS hosting with ZoneEdit.com. The ZoneEdit "mailmaps" forward all mail *@brmiller.ca to my ISP mail account. Some <addresses>@brmiller.ca are also forwarded to a GMail account. The GMail account is configured with a "Send Mail As" to send all outgoing mail from my "default," that is, bruce@brmiller.ca. The Reply-to is obviously also bruce@brmiller.ca. When I send an outgoing message from GMail, the GMail address does not appear in the summary headers. To find it, one has to read the full message headers (geeks only). This is exactly the way I want it.

That was 2003. Life was simpler then --- and less secure.

I am trying to replicate the same setup for my wife's personal domain, mayhurst.ca. I set up its DNS hosting with ZoneEdit only this afternoon. It appears to have not yet propagated across the world's DNS tree.

Problems arise when I try to set up "Send Mail As" in my wife's GMail account. I enter the "alias" address <name@mayhurst.ca>. GMail then has me click "Next." That next dialog box asks for SMTP server, username and password. Trouble!

What to enter? I check the corresponding entries for my own account set up 14 years ago. It lists the SMTP server name as "mx-caprica.zoneedit.com," the username as "bruce," and the password is blank (not even a row of dots). Now I know this was 14 years ago, but I am routinely accused of a memory too powerful for my own good. I have no recollection of having to enter a ZoneEdit SMTP server and have never heard of "mx-caprica.zoneedit.com." I do not believe that I ever entered it.

Bottom line question: What info do I enter into this second dialog of the "Send Mail As" setup of GMail to complete sending all outgoing mail with "From:<name>@mayhurst.ca in the summary headers?

I am not sure whether this is a GMail problem or a ZoneEdit problem, and have taken the liberty of posting this message to both support forums.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

easyDNS purchased and began operating zoneedit in Oct of 2014.. as such the mx-caprica.zoneedit.com mx record is fairly new to legacy zoneedit account holders.. at present outbound smtp is not an included service with mail maps.... you may be able to set the gmail account to set a "reply as" so replies will be sent to the mail map but the message headers would all still be those of Gmail.

A standalone outbound service is available as an Add-On service, for more information please see:

https://support.zoneedit.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/45/0/zoneout

thanks
sandy

kinnerup

It is still possible to use Gmail as SMTP. I do it like this. Just follow this guide;
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/q...to-gmail-without-smtp-forwarding-only-address
Quote:
As of writing, however, you can simply use the Gmail SMTP server, as long as you use Google two-step authentication.

So just for completeness, the full steps:

1. Gmail settings, Accounts and Import tab.
  2. Add another email address you own
  3. Type name and email address to be added.
  4. For SMTP Server, put smtp.gmail.com
  5. For Username, your full Gmail address including @gmail.com
  6. For password, provide an App Password generated in Google Accounts at https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords
  7. Leave Secured connection using TLS selected as is.
  8. Add Account

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there so Gmail will allow you to end your domain name based email address through a gmail outbound server?

does it also allow replies to be sent to the domain based email address as well?

and thanks :)

thanks
sandy

kinnerup

I'm not quite sure what you mean. But here is my setup:
  • I read and send all mail through my gmail web interface
  • I have setup "Send mail as..." within gmail so that my outgoing mails look like coming from my own domain. This is what the guide I posted explains.
  • When other people send mails to my own domain, it goes through my mail map as a mail forwarder which directs to my gmail.
Consequently all my mail look as if handled by my own domain, but in fact gmail is the interface I see and use.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry I meant when someone replied to an email you sent via Gmail is it automatically sent to your domain name email address in the reply.

thanks
sandy