Time to transfer domain

Rickenbacker

How long does it take to transfer a domain from another registrar to Zoneedit? Zoneedit already hosts my DNS records.

What do I need to do to ensure the process is as painless as possible? My domain expires 8 days from now

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

Usually between 5 - 7 days once you have confirmed the transfer with the domains auth code provided by the current registrar. What is the domain name of concern?

thanks
sandy

Dick Rempfer

I would like to extend the registration on each of my two domains (r2bbs.com and rempfer.net) for another ten years. If I use the "switch registrar" option at ZoneEdit.com, will I have the option to specify multiple years, or will I have to go thru this process year by year? Thank you.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
once the domains are registered with zoneedit via the switch registrar link you will then be able to click each domains Renew link to renew for multiple years

thanks
sandy

Dick Rempfer

Hi, Sandy.

I was able to do this transfer and extend registration years process. However it appears the years I had left in the registration periods for my two domains with the previous registrar were not carried over. I was disappointed by this.

You might consider adding a message warning potential transferee's that they will lose any remaining registration period with their previous registrar?

Thanks,
Dick

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
With .com and .net no per-registered time is lost... only new terms are added.. where do you see the registration term is in error?

sandy

Dick Rempfer

Sandy,

My r2bbs.com domain had an expiration date of 2019-09-17 and my rempfer.net would have expired 2018-12-22.
I transferred both to ZoneEdit and subsequently added the maximum nine additional years to each. Thus plus ten years for each.
Now, in ".../manage/domains/info" each shows "Date Next Due" of 22 May 2027.

So if I understand you, this number is a placeholder and will be updated to reflect original expiry date plus ten years (in my case) once the transfer is completed. If this is so, then perhaps a little blurb explaining "this date may change once registrar transfer is complete" might be in order.

Of course it's possible -- even likely -- that no one else would notice this. But I do hope the dates will actually be 2029-09-17 and 2028-12-22, respectively.

Thanks!

Dick

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dick the transfer for r2bbs.com has not yet completed and is currently pending admin approval at the whois listed admin contact email address.
Only once the registrar transfer completes can the additional years of registration be added to the domain.

the transfer for rempfer.net cannot yet be completed as the domain is still under a registrar lock at its current registrar.

In addition as a paid account holder you can use our support ticketing system. Once logged into your zoneedit account click the Get Support
link on the left side bar

thanks
sandy

Dick Rempfer

I seem to recall getting the admin approval email for rempfer.net, but I don't find a similar one (deleted items, junk mail, etc.) for r2bbs.com so don't know how to supply admin approval there. Thanks, Sandy.

I'll use the support ticket system if I notice things don't proceed normally for r2bbs.com.

Dick

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
if you open a support ticket now then we can discus the actual email addresses used for the approvals.

thanks
sandy