How do I find what nameservers to use?

bobca

This seems like it should be a simple thing to figure out, but I have clicked though just about every setting in control panel, and I still can't find a list of available nameservers I can/should use. When I subscribed to zoneedit years ago (2014 I think) I seem to recall a list of nameservers. I am just trying to remember why I have ns10 and ns7.zoneedit.com set at my registrar (not zoneedit). Seems a bit arbitrary what is the difference between these and dns(1,2,3).zoneedit.com? DNS is working fine, I just want to make sure I am using the best nameservers based on my location and for best availability. Should I change them or leave as is?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there.

Click the Manage link to the right of the domain name... then click the Tools tab

On the tools tab click the view the BIND FORMAT link to see what nameservers have been delegated to the domain name.

Hope this helps.

thanks
sandy

bobca

Thanks Sandy, Yes I see the nameservers there in BIND format, but I also have the ability to edit in DNS->NS Records -> edit. There I see a table where I can edit them. If I clear all the entries here will they still show in Tools -> BIND Format? I am just a bit confused since my NS records are set at my registrar should I still have ability to edit in zoneedit DNS, or is whatever I put in here just ignored (it happens to be exactly same as registrar nameservers right now). My domain is ehayden.org if you have a chance to take a look.
Thanks,
Bob

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

as long as the NS inside the zone file match what is delegated at the domains registrar that should be fine

thanks
sandy